books and babies

So, my WIP has been difficult to get out. Initially when I jotted down my ideas, I thought it was just going to pour out of me. After attending a master writing class at the AFCC (Asian Festival of Children's Content) I was sure this idea was 'it'. It was what I was supposed to write. This is my ticket, for sure. The characters and some incidents just flowed and gushed. My document was brimming over with about 20,000 words.

Then, I started trying to plot my book and do some dialogue to see where it was going and get an idea of my resolution. Suddenly, everything fell flat. My dialogue started to sound  so dumb and the entire thing just wasn't shaping up how I'd imagined. I felt like a kid who sits down with this beautiful picture in their head and when they open the new box of crayons to recreate the masterpiece in their mind, it ends up looking, well, childish.

I haven't given up and I'm still trudging through because I believe in this work. Also, I was just telling another mother the other day how difficult one of my children were as a baby, but as a toddler she was so easy and continues to be so. On the other hand, another one of my children was such an easy baby. Seriously, she took a morning and afternoon nap and slept through the night from the day I brought her home from the hospital. Then... she turned two and now three and boy do I have my work cut out for me. The take-away: Give me a difficult baby any day!

My WIP is a difficult baby, for sure. All this hard work and hair pulling will pay off in the end.... I'm hoping!

Comments

Popular Posts