NaNo Rule #12: Don't Count Your Words

I know, I know. The whole premise of NaNoWriMo is word count. It's 50,000 words in 30 days. Everyday you update your word count and several charts and graphs of the bar and line kind flash in front of your face.

How can this be about anything BUT word count???

Of course, it IS about getting words on the page, but I find that when I obsess over looking at the bottom left hand of my screen, I freak out. I wonder if I'm spending too much time on one little thing or am I wasting too many words on another. Should I already have hit this plot point? Will I even be able to make this stretch to 50,000????????

It's not really about the words being in perfect proportion. I have to stop worrying about that and just write it and keep writing it.

DAILY WORD COUNT: 1,853
TOTAL WORD COUNT: 20,372

Comments

Popular Posts